Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 2003 17:43:05 +0100
From:      ian j hart <ianjhart@ntlworld.com>
To:        Sean Chittenden <sean@chittenden.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ATA tag queuing broken...

On Thursday 24 April 2003 9:24 pm, Sean Chittenden wrote:
> > > Alright, well it's apparently no surprise to folks that ATA tag
> > > queuing is broken at the moment.  Are there any objections to me
> > > adding a few cautious words to ata(4) and tuning(7) that advise
> > > _against_ the use of ata tag queuing given that they're likely the
> > > fastest way to reboot a -STABLE box?
> > >
> > > Here's a PR that I tacked a tad bit of info into:
> > >
> > > http://www.FreeBSD.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=kern/42563
> >
> > That's news to me, works just fine here (4.8-R).
>
> That's what my box is as well.  See the bottom of the PR for details,
> but an egrep -r via NFS reboots the box consistently as well as a
> local CVSup + nice +20 buildworld.

Does it die during the cvs or the buildworld? Buildworld is not very disk
intensive. If you nice +20, even more so.

> > What do you mean by "at the moment"? That pr is six months old.
>
> Agreed, but since there's no voting for bugs in gnats, I figured I'd
> "me too" the PR with an updated time/date and slightly more info.
>
> > Did you check the list first? I sent another "works for me" less
> > than a month ago. (Thread: Status of ATA tagging in Stable Kevin
> > Oberman 20030329)
>
> Yup.  It "works" in the sense that under low load, the box works.  As
> soon as I push it, however, it panics and resets.
>
> > I note that the pr originator also has the *known to be broken* DTLA
> > drives.
>
> Hrm, well, according to the man pages I've got the right stuff... or
> not, I don't remember the qualifications mentioned in tuning(7):
>
> atapci0: <VIA 8233 ATA100 controller> port 0xdc00-0xdc0f at device 17.1 on
> pci0 ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
> ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
> ad0: 58644MB <IC35L060AVER07-0> [119150/16/63] at ata0-master tagged
> UDMA100 ad2: 58644MB <IC35L060AVER07-0> [119150/16/63] at ata1-master
> tagged UDMA100

I have very similar hardware. I should be able to reproduce any given disk
load. Perhaps we should take this off list and try a few things.

Before I go, I should mention that I did have similar "tag" error messages a
few weeks ago. I also had a reproducable panic when starting vinum from
single user mode. This turned out to be one (or more) of the following.

o	1 bad RAM stick
o	1 marginal (on spec) RAM stick
o	Aggressive BIOS settings
o	Air filters clogged
o	Unseasonably warm weather (+10F)
o	Phase of the moon

Find a display card and run memtest86 for an hour or so. Take a note of the
memory throughput (for BIOS tuning).

--
ian j hart

Quoth the raven, bite me!
	Salem Saberhagen (Episode LXXXI: The Phantom Menace)