Date:      Mon, 29 Sep 2008 19:12:00 +0200
From:      "Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
To:        Jeremy Chadwick <koitsu@freebsd.org>
Cc:        pyunyh@gmail.com, stable@freebsd.org, Abdullah Ibn Hamad Al-Marri <wearabnet@yahoo.ca>
Subject:   Re: rl0: watchdog timeout + 40, 000 ms ping with 7.1-BETA-i386-disc1.iso

Hi,
Reference:

Jeremy Chadwick wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 28, 2008 at 11:21:19AM +0200, Julian Stacey wrote:
> > Hi,
> > Reference:
> > > From:		"Julian Stacey" <jhs@berklix.org>
> > > Date:		Fri, 26 Sep 2008 19:54:04 +0200
> > > Message-id:	<200809261754.m8QHs41D011762@fire.js.berklix.net>
> >
> > "Julian Stacey" wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > Reference:

> > > Got it working on xl
> > > interrupt problem, I turned off lpt com2 & something else
> > > in bios.
> > > Got to go out now
> > > Ill go back to rl0 too & report back soon
> > > thanks for help both !
> >
> > I'm wrong it is Not working.
> > 	(I typed my own own card address of 192.168.x.x by mistake,
> > 	not the 192.168.x.x of another host on net. )
> >
> > Ive fiddled more with BIOS IRQ to no good effect
> > 	(not suprsing, dont understand some options in BIOS & no
> > 	MOtherboard manual for this Award BIOS 2A6LGB09, on box:
> > 	fujitsu siemens t-bird
> >
> > I was wondering if setting anything to polling might help a bit
> > I went looking with syctl -a -d | grep hw.pci
> >
> >    hw.pci.enable_msi: 1
> >    hw.pci.enable_msi: Enable support for MSI interrupts
> >    hw.pci.enable_msix: 1
> >    hw.pci.enable_msix: Enable support for MSI-X interrupts
>
> You could try disabling MSI and MSI-X in loader.conf to see if that
> makes a difference.
>
>   hw.pci.enable_msi="0"
>   hw.pci.enable_msix="0"

OK Thanks, I just switched back from an xl ro an rl card,
I just tried above sysctl s, no help.

BTW I dont know if ifconfig -a should show word polling, but it does not.

Pyun YongHyeon wrote:
> Can you see 'rl0: link state changed to UP' message in dmesg after
> you assign an IP address to rl0?
> Would you show me the 'ifconfig rl0' output?

With an rc.conf of
	# media 10baseT/UTP
	# media 100baseTX
	# media full-duplex
	# media half-duplex
	ifconfig_rl0="inet 192.168.91.64 media 100baseTX polling"
	ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.91.64 polling"
	inetd_enable="YES"
before enet cable plugged in I see
	rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		ether 00:08:a1:6d:65:07
		inet 192.168.91.64 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.91.255
		media: Ethernet autoselect (none)
		status: no carrier
& after plug in I see:
	rl0: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
		options=8<VLAN_MTU>
		ether 00:08:a1:6d:65:07
		inet 192.168.91.64 netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 192.168.91.255
		media: Ethernet 100baseTX
		status: active
& I see in dmesg
	rl0: link state changed to UP

I suspect I perhaps have something fundamental wrong with BIOS or PC
or similar. May be nothing to do with 7.1-BETA ?
I think Id better perhaps try with 7.0-RELEASE if you guys dont mind.
Hmm I'll dig out a spare disc rather than erase 7.1BETA then I can
test with either if you have any more ideas.

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com