Date:      Tue, 28 Aug 2001 02:03:41 -0400
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@flugsvamp.com>, current@freebsd.org, stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fxp SCB timeout problems [FIX]

At 10:52 PM 8/27/2001 -0700, Terry Lambert wrote:
>Mike Tancsa wrote:
> > >fxp0: <Intel Pro/100 Ethernet> port 0xc400-0xc43f mem
> > >0xd5001000-0xd5001fff irq 11 at device 8.0 on pci1
> > >fxp0: *** DISABLING DYNAMIC STANDBY MODE IN EEPROM ***
> > >fxp0: New EEPROM ID: 0x49a0
> > >fxp0: EEPROM checksum @ 0xff: 0xe441 -> 0xe443
> > >fxp0: *** PLEASE REBOOT THE SYSTEM NOW FOR CORRECT OPERATION ***
>
>  What's being lost
>here, when it is disabled, instead of being handled as the
>card manufacturer expects the OS to handle it?

 From my perspective, negative functionality is being lost.  There is a
nice comment in the source code explaining what it is...

          * Enable workarounds for certain chip revision deficiencies.
          *
          * Systems based on the ICH2/ICH2-M chip from Intel have a defect
          * where the chip can cause a PCI protocol violation if it receives
          * a CU_RESUME command when it is entering the IDLE state.  The
          * workaround is to disable Dynamic Standby Mode, so the chip never
          * deasserts CLKRUN#, and always remains in an active state.
          *
          * See Intel 82801BA/82801BAM Specification Update, Errata #30.