Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 95 7:11:20 MST
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        peter@bonkers.taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
Cc:        davidg@Root.COM, jmb@kryten.atinc.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: MIT SHM X11 extensions? (fwd)

This was actually sent before but got stuck in my mail spool (which I
cleaned out yesterday when a user took it upon himself to personally
mail-bomb Cantor and Seigal.  22438 messages sent from 3 machines, all
with the Reply-To: set.

> > Uh, why is ETXTBUSY still around?
>
> What else would you do if you opened a currently running executable for
> writing?
>
> (ETXTBUSY on delete is bogus, and I hope FreeBSD 2.x has dumped that, but
> there's really no alternative on open than things that have surprising
> consequences)

Actually, you could fault the whole image to swap and close the
reference to the file -- and just allow the write, with never an
ETXTBUSY to be seen.

This would involve setting an "affinity" for pages from swap in an
executing image.

Once this was done, the determination that a file is on a remote file
system could cause a pre-load to swap before executing; this would be
a rather minor exec change.  It would leverage the affinity for swap
change to also resolve the NFS-image-overwritten-on-server problem at
the same time.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---