Date:      Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:38:30 +0100 (MET)
From:      J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org (FreeBSD-current users)
Cc:        aflundi@lundin.abq.nm.us (Alan Lundin)
Subject:   Re: 2.1.5r -> current upgrade

As Alan Lundin wrote:

>    * being unsure about current, I wanted to have current
>      on one disk, and 2.1.5R on another.  It took me a
>      while to discover that only SCSI targets 0 and 1
>      where bootable from the default BSD boot -- at
>      least with my hardware.

That's only a matter of your BIOS not mapping more than two drives
into INT 0x13.  Modern controller BIOSes offer to map all drives (and
sometimes even allow you to select which drives should be included and
which not).

>    * "make world" takes a really, really long time!

If you are confident with the various subtargets, it's often faster
and more convenient to not use `make world', in particular for users
of slower machines.  This however requires a good understanding of
what is happening when, and what has been changed in the recent time
so you could e.g. rebuild the C compiler first if you know it has been
updated (which normally doesn't happen more often than once per year).

>        Apparently, something in the "make
>      world" process used the PRINTER env var as a groff
>      output type!

Yep, this one is a real show-stopper!

--
cheers, J"org