Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 20:43:23 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom <bifrost@minions.com>
To:        Martin Rud Jakobsen <mrjakobsen@SystemForum.dk>
Cc:        "'freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Which webcam to choose for FreeBSD.

> I want a new webcam for my FreeBSD box.

Great! FreeBSD boxes are awesome for webcams, they can push tons
of traffic and not have any degradation.

> Anyone knows what cams I can use on my FreeBSD 4.1? The PC is a old 166mhz
> Pentium, but it does have USB.
> My major concern is to find the software I need to grab the image.

At this point, USB cameras under FreeBSD don't seem to be fully supported.
There is some initial support, but I couldn't find the cameras supported
anywhere :/

I use a BT848 based video capture card with a regular lil camera. It
works great! I have software that does streaming JPEG, its super reliable
and the quality of the stream is really good. There are a bunch of other
softwares out there too, I think there are some in the ports too.

---
Tom							bifrost@minions.com
	"Where am I and why am I in this handbasket?"