Date:      07 Mar 2002 12:26:39 -0800
From:      swear@blarg.net (Gary W. Swearingen)
To:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Mail blocked

Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:

> At 11:53 PM 3/6/2002, Bill Swingle wrote:
>
> The mail didn't "say it was coming from localhost." It merely had a
> message ID that happened to contain the string "localhost." The headers
> and envelope both contained my legitimate and verifiable return address.
> Matching strings in a message ID (which is allowed to contain arbitrary
> character strings!) may bounce quite a bit of perfectly legitimate mail.
> This turned out to be what happened.

Are you sure?  I've posted to other freebsd MLs with that kind of ID.
If you're reading this, I think you'll find "localhost." in the ID.

My computers are all named localhost and I don't see that changing.  I
wouldn't care to waste time figuring out how to munge the message ID.  I
wasted several days recovering from whatever they did last summer that
stopped my posts cold, mid-thread.