Date:      Tue, 22 Jun 2004 12:44:27 +1000
From:      Tim Robbins <tjr@freebsd.org>
To:        Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: nullfs in 4.10

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 11:05:07PM +0200, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since upgrading to 4.10-ish (cvsup), nullfs (mount_null) causes my
> jailing host to panic and reboot very frequently. I've been using nullfs
> for about a year now, up until and including 4.9 and beyond, and I have
> never had problems with it. It has been heavily used, among other things
> to mount the host ports tree into all jails (10+), etc.

You have not included enough information; you should at least include
a panic message and either say what you were doing at the time it crashed
or steps to reproduce the problem when reporting bugs.

> Anyone got any idea what's happening? Someone mentioned on -CURRENT that
> nullfs has been the victim of some pretty hefty bitrot lately, so
> perhaps that's the reason?

nullfs is in better shape in -CURRENT than it is in -STABLE.

> In any case - in its current form it does not
> belong anywhere near a -STABLE release.

Please re-read the manual page, paying particular attention to the statement
that the file system is not supported.

Tim