Date:      Sat, 6 Aug 2005 11:49:23 +0100 (BST)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Indigo 23 <indigo23@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 6.0-BETA2 Available

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Indigo 23 wrote:

> Is this the last beta before release (assuming there are no show
> stopping bugs)?

Normally release cycles consistent of a pre-release period, which includes
betas, release candidates, and releases.  Betas usually continue until
substantal movement has ceased (i.e., no more last minute merges, no more
significant fixes requiring additional testing, etc).  Release candidate
often occur in quantities of 3-5, and each is intended to resemble the
final release, with the intent that problems will be found and they will
be refined until no more problems (deemed appropriate for fixing are
found.  Whether or not we've hit the last beta depends on whether or not
there are any more major merges to occur -- I have a number of network
stack and device driver related locking changes I'd like to backport, and
there's still hope Apple will fix the necessary licenses for us to merge
the audit support, although time is running out.  I'd guess there will be
at least one more beta.

Robert N M Watson