Date:      Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:53:56 +0100
From:      Stuart Henderson <stuart@eclipse.net.uk>
To:        net admin <admin@pacex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Apache web counters

> I have a customer who wants to implement some simple counters on his
> frontpage webs, but have problem getting them to  work without the
> apache-fp extension on our servers.

Frontpage's web counter program is very fussy about permissions on the
files and I still haven't worked out quite how to do it, all the
messages on www.rtr.com message boards suggest making it setuid. Yeeeuw.

> Are there some other counters that work with apache on FreeBSD
> that don't require frontpage extensions?

Plenty, using either cgi, or a scripting language like php. I think the
nicest ones are the ones that use text to display the number (either
using SSI or embedded scripting), try somewhere like Matt's script
archive for some cgi ones.