Date:      Wed, 11 Nov 1998 09:06:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jb@cimlogic.com.au (John Birrell)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, sgk@troutmask.apl.washington.edu, crossd@cs.rpi.edu, jkh@time.cdrom.com, nate@mt.sri.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: linux software installation and uname

> > Any you don't path this as part of the "port" you made for the
                  ^^^^--- ``patch''
> > compiler?
>
> What does this sentence mean? I understand each of the words, but I
> have no idea what the f%$# you are talking about.

I was asking why you didn't just patch the install script as one of
the standard patchfiles you applied to the programs from the
original vendor when you made the "ports" entry for the program.

In other words, when I go to install the thing from FreeBSD 3.0.1
from the sysinstall menu, it should ask me for the CDROM from
the program vendor, mount it, copy the install script to /tmp,
patch the install script to route around the uname dependency on
Linux (preferrably by adding a FreeBSD target, so the patch can
be given back to the vendor for the next time they burn CDROMs),
and then the install would "just work".

I'd do the job, but I don't have a copy of the CDROM.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.