Date:      Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:08:59 -0600
From:      Dave Babb <dcbdbis@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Request for buildworld clarification

Good Afternoon All,

I am requesting a clarification on make buildworld. I am junior with
FreeBSD (< 8 months)...and I am getting confused with Gentoo's
definition of build world, and FreeBSD's.

Under Gentoo, when you rebuilt your world, everything got rebuilt. Every
package that you had installed in your system including the base.

Am I understanding that in FreeBSD this is a two step process. "make
buildworld" simply rebuilds the base system from source. Then to rebuild
your ports....I understand that I need to call "portmaster -af"...Am I
correct, or is their a different set of switches I need to pass to
portmaster to tell it to rebuild every installed port?

Thank you for your assistance.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave