Date:      Mon, 18 Aug 2008 19:02:12 -0700
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Martin Tournoij <carpetsmoker@rwxrwxrwx.net>
Subject:   Re: Still, no-joy with kdm......

On Mon August 18 2008 17:26:10 Martin Tournoij wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 04:43:23PM -0700, Gary Kline wrote:
> > 	Guys,
> >
> > 	Im looking at the kdmrc file but don't see anything wrong.
> > 	Any ideas where to llook next?
> >
> > 	gary
> >
> > 	PS: what is the startup for exec'ing gnome??
>
> I can't see anything wrong with your kdmrc file either ... In fact, I can't
> see your kdmrc file at all ...

p0 17:59 <tao> [5030] locate kdmrc
/usr/local/share/con fig/kdm/kdmrc

which is a general collection of miscellaneous X* that have been clumped
together in the /usr/local/share/con fig/kdm directory.  This file is
mentioned each time I try to exec kdm [as root].  This has been an ongoing
discussion in recent days since the typical results state that kdm cannot
create kdm.pid in /var/run.

The only work-around is to logging as root from consonsole, then su kline,
then type % startup.  After several moments my usual KDM is all there.

> You should really post more information, at the very least:
>
> o What exactly you are trying to accomplish.
> o Your kdmrc file.

Everyone who had kde3 had this file; it is very long; posting it would burn
more than 20K of bandwidth per listmember.  It is 0644, and text, so putting
in trace is a no-go.

> o What exactly isn't working.

Well, according to the kdm binary, I can't create /var/run/kdm.pid.  But since
a zer-length file is created, I think the problem is earlier.  It may be,
e.g., that the binary cannot be completed.
> o The error message, if any (full, copied exactly).

I don't know exactly how much good that would do, assuming that I
*could* do a ``# kdm >2&1>/tmp/message.

> o What you have already tried to solve the problem.

Massively removed every socket from ~/.  and /tmp/.  , plus, of course rm'ing
the zer-len kdm.pid file.

> o The version of software (FreeBSD, KDM, KDE, etc.).

7.0 rev 3, upgraded in March.  I did a complete ports upgrade this morning;
then a reboot.  Nada.  kdm still can write is pid into kdm.pid.

-g

--
Gary Kline  kline@thought.org   www.thought.org  Public Service Unix