Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 1995 23:02:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rashid Karimov <rashid@rk.ios.com>
To:        bugs@ns1.win.net (Mark Hittinger)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ANNEX erpcd pegs in _crypt

		Hi there Mark,

> How about one more weird guess?

	:))

> You are using acp_passwd with DES encrypted passwords.  In /etc/passwd
> you are using md5 encrypted passwords and the crypt library in /usr/lib
> is the md5 library rather than the libcrypt from the "secure" distribution.
> The guess is that the md5 library goes into an infinite loop if you hand
> it a DES password (because its too short?).

	No ... the system sec.  is DES based ... I have DES passwds
	both in acp_passwd and in /etc/master.passwd.
	The other thing is that the erpcd does authentificate ! -
	but for the certain accounts erpcds just sit in crypt()  dunno
	why ... Those accounts aren't different from those ones who work
	fine ...
	Futhermore , the erpcd I run on SS10 under SunOS 414 work just fine
	with the  _same acp_passwd