Date:      Thu, 15 Apr 1999 11:20:22 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        Evil Dave <daver@kizmiaz.dis.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OPIE

Evil Dave wrote:
> the version of OPIE in /usr/src/contrib/opie is version 2.31. version 2.32
> was released well over a year ago. I'm told that to upgrade this (well,
> to put the newer minor revision in place) i need some help from someone
> with contrib access. any takers?

I'm happy to help!

> i have a pam opie lib built from the 2.31 tree and it works, but i'd like
> to see the newer (again, over a year old) version put in place in case
> someone ever decides to make a pam module out of the newer release. i'm sure
> using 2.31 isnt all that bad, and it works well for me.

SKey makes me nervous. I'd be happy to improve this (and add SHA
as well).

> i find it odd that s/key is supported so widely while OPIE seems ignored.
> Bellcore gave up s/key and the naval research labs took it over. They had
> to rename it so they decided on OPIE (one-time passwords in everything) and
> implemented md5, which, if i'm not mistaken, was not in s/key at the time. i'm
> not sure about s/key, did they ever implement md5?

Not AFAIK.

> OPIE is clearly newer and better. but i'm sure i'm reciting ancient and boring
> history to most of you. the 2.31 version was released 3/20/1997. the 2.32
> version was released 1/1/1998.

SKey defaults to MD4, which has key collision problems that allow
an attacker with moderate computing power, some time and a few
sample (snooped) keys a reasonable chance at getting a workable
key. MD5 and SHA are much harder to attack in this way.

Mark Murray