Date:      Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:34:10 -0800
From:      Eric Hodel <hodeleri@seattleu.edu>
To:        me@T-F-I.freeserve.co.uk
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: my temporary imperfection

John Murphy wrote:

> Hi.

Hello

> This hasn't happened since. Probably because I remove the fbsd drive before
> running windows. I still have to do the fdsik thing after every fbsd session.
> I'll probably put up with it until I become more advanced and figure out how
> to upgrade the boot blocks (after doing an ELF upgrade/make world of course).

I haven't run into this problem, OS-BS should reset the booting
partition to active when you select Win95...should.

> Something I found most useful is that changing the shell to tcsh gives access
> to previous commands by pressing the up arrow. Now I only have to type
> /stand/sysinstall, or whatever, once, and it's remembered. I only discovered
> this today so I don't know if it remembers after a shutdown. Probably does.

bash has this feature too.  In csh, you can type !! for the last
command, say you:
#ls
then decide you want to see the . files as well:
#!! -a
and filter for lines containing csh:
#!! |grep csh

!-2 does the second to last command, h gives you a list, !<command>
will run that command from the list.

> I may have to resort to questioning fbsd-questions for an answer to the next
> problem, though I've seen the question go un-answered there, so there's not
> much point. When trying to run xcircuit, xfig, xdtm, xfishtank or xpaint, an
> error /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1 :Shared object "libkrb.so.3" not found.
> Something to do with ldconfig I'm guessing, or because I'm only semi-ELF :-)

You need to install kerberos.  I assume you installed from packages?
Some of those packages were built with kerberos installed, and if you
don't have it, it complains.

Solution 1: Install the kerberos distribution (easiest, I'd say)
Solution 2: (I think) Compile from the ports tree

> I guess I _am_ hooked though.

<grin>
--
Eric Hodel