Date:      Mon, 06 Aug 2001 07:14:19 +1000
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problems creating 4.4-alpha test/release cdrom

On 2001-Aug-05 19:00:55 +0200, Wilko Bulte <wkb@freebie.xs4all.nl> wrote:
>I seem to be having an interesting problem creating a CD that is bootable
>on Alpha. I built a release (too a while on the PWS600au but it got there).
>Then created an .iso using the /usr/share/examples/worm/makecdfs.sh
>Subsequently ran setcdboot to make it bootable. Ran cdrecord and wrote the
>whole thing on CDRW. All mkisofs, setcdboot, cdrecord, done on the PWS
>itself.
>
>On trying to boot I get the phenomenon listed below: ALL CAPS filenames.
>mkisofs is version 1.14, freshly built from ports. Mounting the CD under
>FreeBSD produces lower case filenames like we are used to.

All this means is that the bootloader doesn't understand the RockRidge
extensions to ISO9660.  The ISO9660 standard only supports monocase
filenames containing a single '.' and a version number (similar to
VMS).  It should, however, understand that a request for "kernel" is
matched by the file "KERNEL" that it reports - I suspect that there's
a strcmp() that should be strcasecmp() somewhere in the bootloader.

Peter