Date:      Tue, 27 Feb 1996 14:08:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Dave Andersen <angio@aros.net>
To:        dale2@fifth-avenue.com (Dale)
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sending an exe or zip via HTML

Lo and behold, Dale once said:

> Does anyone know why when I code an HTML A REF to allow a user to
> download a file (like an exe or a zip) only the code shows up on the
> screen rather than the usual Netscape (Save To DIsk) dialogue box?
>
> Does this have something to do with the file's mode or ownership?
>
> How do I code an HTML line to let a user download such a file?

  It's a server configuration error.  The server needs to have a mime
type for .zip or .exe that tells it it's not a text file.  Typically it
would go in mime-types or as an AddType (with Apache) in srm.conf.

  .zip files should be application/zip  and .exe .. er, there's a good
question for you. :)

  -Dave Andersen

--
angio@aros.net                Complete virtual hosting and business-oriented
system administration         Internet services.  (WWW, FTP, email)