Date:      Sun, 27 Feb 2005 07:35:23 +0100
From:      Valery <valery@vslash.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   HOWTO : Setting Up a mouse + wheel on a traditional ps/2 port in FBSD 5.3

* Setting Up a mouse + wheel on a traditional ps/2 port in FBSD 5.3
                           ... and others ... *

1. Must know
  ps2 bus   : the ps/2 bus is mapped as /dev/psm0
  /dev/psm0 : support only 'ps/2' protocol ( moused(8) )
  moused	   : map /dev/psm0 as a virtual port to
	     /dev/sysmouse (ie like /dev/ttyv0 is a virtual tty)
  X         : work with the /dev/sysmouse virtual device as input device.
  xorg.conf : When setting up "Protocol" to "Auto" the protocol choosed
              by X is ps/2 which don't work for me (i don't know how to
              use a wheel with it without setting up parms for each apps)
  xorg.conf : setting up "Protocol" to "sysmouse" is the best way i find
              to use my wheel. /sysmouse/ work "natively" with xterm,
              Mozilla, and so on. No needs to change anything.

2. Parameters
  /etc/rc.conf :
	moused -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2

  /etc/X11/xorg.conf :
	Section "InputDevice"
	  Identifier  "Mouse0"
	  Driver      "mouse"
	  Option	    "Protocol" "sysmouse"
	  Option	    "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
	  Option		"Buttons" "5"
	  Option		"ZAxisMapping" "X"
	EndSection

3. Some tips
  Testing :
  1 - kill the moused daemon
  2 - set mouse on console : vidcontrol -m on
  3 - launch moused on foreground to see if it's work :
       moused -f -p /dev/psm0 -t ps/2
  4 - press ^C to end
  5 - if result are ok, launch moused with your previous parms
  6 - set up rc.conf && xorg.conf as above.
  7 - try to use a lightweight wm like IceWM or twm to test,
      it respect well X parms.

4. Comments
   i don't know why, but logoff/login or reboot your computer in order to
  get this stuff working properly : first time i set this parms, they
  don't work. Because i was almost sure they must work, i rebooted my
  computer and they work fine. Perhaps some guy from BSD could
  explain ...

  My X.log whith the 'sysmouse' protocol :
	(**) Option "Protocol" "sysmouse"
	(**) Mouse0: Device: "/dev/sysmouse"
	(**) Mouse0: Protocol: "sysmouse"
	(**) Option "CorePointer"
	(**) Mouse0: Core Pointer
	(**) Option "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
	(**) Option "BaudRate" "1200"
	(**) Option "StopBits" "2"
	(**) Option "DataBits" "8"
	(**) Option "Parity" "None"
	(**) Option "Vmin" "1"
	(**) Option "Vtime" "0"
	(**) Option "FlowControl" "None"
	(**) Option "Buttons" "5"
	(==) Mouse0: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
	(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
	(**) Mouse0: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
	(**) Mouse0: Buttons: 5
	(**) Mouse0: BaudRate: 1200
	// ... //
	(II) 3rd Button detected: disabling emulate3Button
5. Probed apps
   xterm
   Mozilla
   gVim

6. Ref.
   sysmouse(4), moused(8)
   /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/doc/README.mouse ...
       ... no information about sysmouse protocol
   http://colas.nahaboo.net/mouse-wheel-scroll/#FAQ

yours

v/