Date:      Mon, 15 Aug 2005 16:49:01 -0700
From:      Lei Sun <lei.sun@gmail.com>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>, questions@freebsd.org, cpghost <cpghost@cordula.ws>, Glenn Dawson <glenn@antimatter.net>
Subject:   Re: disk fragmentation, <0%?

Thanks All,

I think Kris's suggestion worked, as when I was rebuilding of the
atacontrol, I remember it failed once, and had a lot of problem trying
to reboot and unmount the /tmp directory.

So after I rebuild the array, somehow /tmp looks clean to the OS, and
didn't get checked.

so somehow the the stats was not showing the correct information.

I have already rebuild the machine, all of the effect from the
atacontrol rebuild array are gone now, and it seems like everything is
back to normal.

Capacity is right, Used is right, Avail is right, and all 0.0% fragmentatio=
n.

Then, my other question is,

If the file space allocation works like Glenn said earlier, how come
with the exact same files from 2 different installations using the
exact procedures, can result in different fragmentation?

in the atacontrol raid1 failure case, /dev/ar0s1a: ... 0.5% fragmentation
in the new build case, /dev/ar0s1a: ... 0.0% fragmentation

That doesn't seems to make a lot of sense.

Thanks again

Lei