Date:      Thu, 23 Sep 2010 14:42:26 -0400
From:      jhell <jhell@DataIX.net>
To:        Michael BlackHeart <amdmiek@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.1 Stable Unreasanoble Rebooting

On 09/23/2010 14:38, jhell wrote:
> On 09/16/2010 15:33, Michael BlackHeart wrote:

>>> This sure looks like a legitimate reboot to me (e.g. shutdown -r now);
>>> note how your system daemons (named, syslogd) are being shut down with
>>> SIGTERM.  You can check with "last" (shutdown/reboot vs. crash).
>>>
>>> <paranoid>
>>> I would highly recommend taking this machine offline and reinstalling
>>> the OS, in addition to newfs'ing all existing filesystems (restore from
>>> last known good backup).  buildworld/installworld and
>>> buildkernel/installkernel may not be enough depending on what the
>>> individual did.  It's likely the machine could be compromised in some
>>> way, especially if there's any service on it which is public-facing,
>>> regardless of authentication mechanisms you've deployed in front of it.
>>> </paranoid>
>>>
>>> --
>>> | Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@parodius.com |
>>> | Parodius Networking                       http://www.parodius.com/ |
>>> | UNIX Systems Administrator                  Mountain View, CA, USA |
>>> | Making life hard for others since 1977.              PGP: 4BD6C0CB |
>>>

>> That looks reasonable
>> last says:
>> reboot           ~                         th 16 sen 14:04
>> reboot           ~                         th 16 sen 14:03
>> shutdown         ~                         th 16 sen 13:59
>
>> and it's pretty good syncs with logs but there's no anybody access to
>> physical console 'cos it's not even plugged in. That's for the first.
>> Next, I've got, I believe, pretty strong passwords, and also root
>> can't log in directly, but wheel user also is in operators so he also
>> can reboot or shutdown, but there's no any attempts or successful
>> logins. All potentialy dangerous services run under their own
>> unprerileged users, and so on. Crontabs also doesn't contain scripts,
>> I prefer periodic system, and there's no anyway anything that cause
>> reboot.
>> Thing that worries me it that there were multiple reboots and shutdown
>> that goes up by itself without anyone pressing a button. And in
>> messages log there's fsck segment that indicates to unnormal shutdown
>> or reboot. It looks like it started to shutting down but was in some
>> case interrupted and after powering up it few times reboots itself.
>> But commonly FreeBSD doesn't reboot by it's own will.
>> The same hardware worked over a half a year under 8.0 stables without
>> such a problem. I just would like to understand from where this
>> problem comes up.
>> This machine doesn't contain any critical info so I'll wait for a bit.
>> Also I'd like to notice that recently I've tuned hdd's spindown exept
>> system hdd by atacontrol port, powerd and CPU frequency lowering in
>> idle, maybe something of this could cause this problem? And where
>> could I check this out?
>
> You might just want to go through your /etc/rc.d/*, crontabs,
> [...]

One more thing I would like to add to this is audit(8). This can prove
to be an invaluable tool to find rogue binaries on the system and track
down exactly to where one is being executed. Since your looking at a
specific time-frame that this is happening it would be real easy for you
to track this back.

Regards again,

--

 jhell,v