Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 12:07:41 -0700
From:      "achan" <achan@sns.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Install problem

Hi,
    Will FreeBSD work on my system?  Cause, I have tried Redhat 4.1 and
Slackware 3.1 on my system.  Both don't seem to work with the boot manager
named 'System Commander'.  I just could not get the LILO which I had
already installed into the super block of the Linux partition on my
hard-drive (not the boot sector, System Commander resides in boot sector).
As a result, I could only boot Window 95 with the boot manager as I start
up my system.  Everytime, I want to run Linux, I have to use a floppy
disk.

	The error message I got is  'Ending address to large' and 'BIOS parameter
limits Head=254 Sector=63 Cylinder=260'.  I really have no clue how to
eliminate this problem.  My system configuration is the following:

A Quatum Wide-SCSI drive with 2.1 Gigabyte storage
An Adapetec AHA2940UW SCCI controller with its own BIOS embedded onto my
Petium motherboard

I have used the first 1.2 gigabytes of my hard-drive for Dos and Window 95.
 I created a primary partition and an extended partition starting at around
700 Mb up to the 1.2 Gb.  The rest of my hard-drive (around 800 Mb) was
intended to use with Linux.  I have tried alll kinds of comibination to
partioning of my hard-drive, but it still give me the same error.  Do you
have any ideas?  Is something not compatible with my hard-drive?  All the
head, sector, cylinder settings for my drive are automatically configured
when I installed my system.  How should I respond to the error?

      I would like to know if FreeBSD will eliminate this error.  If so, I
would like to try that on my system.  Thanks very much for help!
Is FreeBSD compatible with all the UNIX or Linux softwares?

achan@sns.com