Date:      Wed, 20 Mar 1996 11:01:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dave Walton <dwalton@psiint.com>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Strange lockup problem

I'm having an annoying lockup problem on a new Dell Pentium system running
2.1R.
Kernel: GENERIC
Hardware: S3-Trio64+, PS/2 mouse, EIDE, ATAPI CD-ROM, 3Com 3C509
          (Everything is on the motherboard.  All slots empty.)
Boot config: fdc0, wdc0, lpt0, sio0, sio1, sc0
             (Everything else disabled)

Switching from one vty to another frequently causes a lockup.  It can
happen the first time after boot, or it might take a dozen or so
switches.  It's very repeatable.  All I need to do is boot up and sit at
the login prompt hitting Alt-F1 and Alt-F2 (or any other ones) and sooner
or later the system locks up.  I believe that it's just the keyboard
locking up, but have no way of testing this theory.

On a possibly related note, I built a new kernel to enable the CD and
mouse.  The only changes were to comment out I386_CPU and I496_CPU,
change the ident, and add options ATAPI, device wcd0, and device psm0.
When I enable psm0, the system boots fine, but with the keyboard locked
up. Disabling psm0 eliminates the problem.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas of what might be going on here?

Thanks,
Dave

David Walton                                     Unix Programmer
PSI INTERNATIONAL, Inc.                          email: dwalton@psiint.com
190 South Orchard #C200                          Fax  :(707)451-6484
Vacaville, CA 95688                              Phone:(707)451-3503