Date:      Thu, 10 Jan 2002 21:11:54 +0000
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely8.cicely.de>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org, Christian Weisgerber <naddy@mips.inka.de>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/sys/boot/i386/boot2 boot2.c

In message <XFMail.020110124736.jhb@FreeBSD.org>, John Baldwin writes:
>[ cc'ing Ian so he can see this ]

Thanks, I forgot to check the -alpha archive for replies.

>>> This doesn't work for me.  The bootstrap dies like before.
>>> (-CURRENT)
>>
>> Can the gcc handle >64k globals on alpha?
>> There are at least 4 static char arrays allocated with that size.
>
>Seems to work ok for userland.  Just made a simple program that makes 5 16k
>buffers as globals and touches all of their contents and it worked FWIW. *shru
>g*

I don't know much about the alpha boot environment, so I guess there
could be limitations there. To start with, could Christian confirm
that you are quite sure that the new boot block got installed? I presume
you did at least something like

	cd /usr/src/sys/boot
	make
	make install
	disklabel -B da0s1 (or whatever)

(or a make world + disklabel -B da0s1)?

If there is a 64k limit somewhere, try removing the buf[] array
from sys.c as it looks like it is not used.

Ian