Date:      Sat, 1 May 1999 14:22:17 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
To:        des@flood.ping.uio.no (Dag-Erling Smorgrav)
Cc:        garbanzo@hooked.net, jbryant@unix.tfs.net, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ep0 *UTP*

It seems Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> Soren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk> writes:
> > [...]
> > There are lots of better cards out there, but stating that the 3c509
> > doesn't work, is totally out in the dark...
>
> Well, excuse me for breathing. I'll just take your word, and dismiss
> the problems I've had with flaky 3c509s (about two thirds of those
> I've encountered have been flaky) as mere hallucinations.

Yeah, could be, as I hinted in the former email :)

Or it could be pilot errors, there are both non-PnP and PnP
versions of those cards, and their default behavior can IIRC
be changed via a DOS util, so there are lots of room for confusion,
but that is not the same as it doesn't work, its just a bit
complex. I have used those cards since they showed up, and apart
from a few broken ones (they DONT like DC on your BNC cableing)
there has been no problems (we are talking hundreds of cards here).

To get back to the subject, the default interface type (AUI/BNC/UTP)
are store in an EEPROM on board, this default is shown in the probe.
The default can be changed with a DOS util from 3COM.

-Søren