Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 96 00:34:02 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <reyes01@ibm.net>
To:        "bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>, "questions@freefall.freebsd.org" <questions@freefall.freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: questions-digest V1 #1276

On Tue, 27 Aug 1996 13:23:30 -0700 (PDT),
owner-questions-digest@freefall.freebsd.org wrote:

>I agree these cards are probably OK (or at least as OK as it gets)
>under Win/DOS.  Due to the driver quality, I buy $25 NE2000 clones
>for noncritical ISA machines (and for home use), SMC cards for more
>critical ISA boxes and will buy DEC chip PCI cards for servers in
>the future.

How are the SMC cards price wise? At work they bought a box (25 I
think) so they got a good discount.

I plugged a 3C509 today into a FreeBSD box, turned plug and play, and
the card has been working ok (just installed it today though). On a
56K line I am getting 4K to 5K average. I think that for such network
bandwith almost any card should be fine. :)