Date:      Sun, 24 May 1998 22:16:44 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        "John Saunders" <john.saunders@scitec.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, "Dan Swartzendruber" <dswartz@druber.com>
Subject:   Re: make buildworld/installworld question

> I've done 'make world' in both single user mode and multi user
> .. One thing to watch is that the /usr/libexec/ld.so file gets
> updated. The last time I did 'make world' in multi user mode it
> didn't. I tend to 'ls -lt' in the standard directories to check
> on what didn't get updated.

ld.so is installed using '-C', so if the new version is the same as the
old one, it's not changed.  It's debatable as to whether the use of -C
is justifiable (it's not a performance improvement, and it makes the
use of timestamps for identifying stale files unworkable).

> Probably the best way is...

... much unuseful stuff elided.

The 'installworld' target is almost always successful without any help.
The 'install' utility knows how to work around most of the problems
that can normally occur when installing files, and should not need any
assistance.

The only problems that normally occur during 'installworld' are related
to the non-atomicity of the process, and these are generally avoided by
the order of installation.