Date:      Mon, 2 Dec 2002 10:50:51 -0500 (EST)
From:      Jerry McAllister <jerrymc@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
To:        conrads@cox.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: dump/restore after filesystem layout changes

> First of all, I just gotta say: ATAPICAM rocks!!!  I can now use my ATAPI
> CD burner with dump/restore!  Awesome!!!
>
> Ok, now on to my question: I'd like to do a full backup on each of my
> filesystems, zap all the partitions and do a new fdisk/disklabel with more
> filesystems than I'm currently using.  For example, create a new /home
> partition instead of using a symlink in / to /usr/home.
>
> I'm just wondering if this will present any problems when restoring from
> backups.  I can't seem to glean this information from the man pages.

No problem.
Just think out the order in which you do things - such as, build all your
file systems first, make sure that you restore file systems that contain
mountpoints before restoring the filesystems that use the mountpoints, etc.
So, build your file systems including /, /usr, /var and /home, etc whatever.
    restore root (/) first
    touch up /etc/fstab if needed
    restore other file systems such as /usr
    restore stuff file systems mounted in /usr such as maybe /usr/local
            if you have one
    etc.

////jerry