Date:      Wed, 16 Dec 2015 20:58:10 +0000
From:      "Brian McGovern (bmcgover)" <bmcgover@cisco.com>
To:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Standardizing digital, analog control points in the kernel?

All,
  This is a question that I'm sure could span multiple lists and multiple p=
erspectives; for example, there is probably significant input to be had fro=
m -arm. However, I'm going to ask here to try to get the biggest collection=
 of feedback.

  I've been working with a number of I/O capable devices for awhile - Pis, =
Beaglebones, for example, but also a lot of the USB Velleman boards, X-10, =
Insteon, etc.

  I've been contemplating a project to consolidate the various control poin=
ts, with a certain amount of metadata, at the userland level and provide a =
standardized interface - most likely through a network socket via XML, some=
 form of HTTP, a combination, or something else entirely. The reason would =
be to sufficiently abstract the various layers so that domain experts could=
 focus on specific areas - for example, device driver writers could focus o=
n adding more devices which provide control points without needing to provi=
de server or applications bits, UI writers and control applications can wor=
ry about looking pretty and communicating through a language-independent in=
terface, and so forth.

  The question I have is whether a.) Anyone is looking at doing something s=
imilar, and b.) if anyone is looking at doing something similar inside the =
kernel as a device driver, filesystem, or other variation (e.g. I'm thinkin=
g of something like ucom, where the low-level hardware drivers plug in to i=
t to provide a generic user interface on top)?

     -B

  =