Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 1997 13:32:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Bryan K. Ogawa" <bkogawa@primenet.com>
To:        spork@super-g.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Dan Busarow <dan@dpcsys.com>
Subject:   Re: Netscape & floating point core dumps?

[list changed to -questions]

In localhost.freebsd.hackers you write:

>I let the port do the work on this one; today when I logged in and started
>X Netscape was very happy...  It actually seems *better*??!! than 3.0...
>Java is faster, table draws are faster, and it seems to chomp less CPU
>time.  I'm happy so far.

Agreed.  I mostly like it, but I'm having a weird problem occassionally.

Sometimes, when I start it up, it starts up, but no window is
displayed.  Looking at the systat -vmstat output, the Trp column has
**** in it, or a very large number (e.g. in the 10's of thousands).

This is with a Matrox Millenium, 24bpp, with Xaccel 3.1 and
BackingStore /SaveUnders not set to Yes in my /etc/Xaccel.ini.

I've sent this one off to Xi so I figure they'll have to comment on
it, but if anyone has any tips, I'd love to hear them.

What seems to trigger this is not having enough real memory free when
starting -- I just doubled my swap space, so I know I have plenty of
swap, but I only have 32 megs of RAM and I'm running 24bpp.  I suspect
that for some reason, netscape can't initialize sufficient buffers
which it wants to be in real RAM for some reason or another.

If I run a RAM-gobbling program (or two) immediately before starting
netscape, that seems to help, or if I've gotten netscape to run for a
sufficiently long time...

Anyone else seeing anything strange like this?

The other thing I suspect is login.conf -- I upped my settings once,
but I'm wondering if I need to up them again for netscape.

--
bryan k ogawa  <bkogawa@primenet.com>   http://www.primenet.com/~bkogawa/