Date:      Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:40:21 -0400
From:      Wesley Shields <wxs@FreeBSD.org>
To:        David DEMELIER <demelier.david@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New pkg-message[.in] guideline idea

On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 02:16:07PM +0200, David DEMELIER wrote:
> Hi freebsd-ports@,
>
> I would like to propose you something that I would like to be done.
> It's a cosmetic, useless thing but I like when things are made
> homogeneously. That is the problem : as you can see, sometimes port
> tells a message to the user but some maintainers used delimiters to
> begin/end the message such as a lot of "***" or "===" or blank spaces.
>
> If you already did use NetBSD pkgsrc, you can see that *every* MESSAGE
> is composed like this :

> $NetBSD: MESSAGE,v 1.1.1.1 2008/10/20 09:28:51 wiz Exp $
>
> Note you need audio/audacious-plugins to actually play music.
>
> I would do something like this to the FreeBSD ports, if you agree with
> me I can check every messages and modify them. I can also put
> something in the FreeBSD porter's handbook to write a "pkg-message
> template"
>
> I know that there is much more important work to do, that's why I can
> take all this work for myself.

I think a better solution is to do what portmaster does and display all
the pkg-message files as one of the last things it does. I had a patch
to do this sitting in portmgr@ queue but it needs more work.

A combination of some standardization of pkg-message files and
displaying them all at the end of a build would be best.

-- WXS