Date:      Tue, 20 May 1997 20:01:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Richard Toren <rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com>
To:        questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: caching DNS, question [Thanks]

Thanks to everyone who responded; here is the reason and the result.

 WHY?
  1> I have experienced sessions where Netscape would display that it was
looking up a name for over a minute, then connect and bring up the screen
in 5 seconds. This was with a site (SAT testing) that takes you through
about 14 screens, each being looked up.
  I figured that if I could cache that dot notation, things would run
much faster.
  2> I can dump the cache to see what names have been resolved.
  3> It is another skill to be learned, if you don't understand the
basics, the wiz-bang stuff seems like magic.
  4> I just spent 2 weeks (off and on) trying to help our sysadmin
set up a Sun 4.1.4 system (with no YP) that could not resolve anything.
Then the fog lifted and I remembered that libc is hardwired for YP.
(tracing ping also helped :-> )

 RESULT
  In /etc/named:
  1> setup and ran 'make-localhost'
  2> setup 'named.boot' with a cache, primary, and forwarders lines
  3> mv'd resolv.conf out of the way
  4> started the named
  > BOING!!!!

Thanx again to all....

Rip Toren               | The bad news is that C++ is not an object-oriented |
rpt@sso.wdl.lmco.com    | programming language. .... The good news is that   |
                        | C++ supports object-oriented programming.          |
                        |    C++ Programming & Fundamental Concepts          |
                        |     by Anderson & Heinze                           |