Date:      Mon, 08 May 2006 10:21:20 -0400
From:      Robert Fitzpatrick <lists@webtent.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ibsh shell session fails using scp/sftp

On Mon, 2006-05-08 at 09:39 -0400, Bill Moran wrote:
> > Trying to use WinSCP to connect using the ibsh shell. The logs in the
> > WinSCP program indicate 'Connection failed. Server sent command exit
> > status 0', but I cannot find anything in the FreeBSD logs. I am hoping
> > to find where my FreeBSD 6.0 box is trying to execute a command so I can
> > add it to the approved list of commands to run by the user.
> > The /var/log/auth.log only states...
> >
> > May  8 09:21:28 files sshd[22864]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam for webtent from 192.168.1.12 port 1130 ssh2
> > May  8 09:21:29 files sshd[22867]: subsystem request for sftp
> >
> > While the /var/log/messages and /var/log/debug.log have nothing as a
> > result of the attempt to login. Is there anywhere else this may be
> > logging on why the session could not start?
>
> Run sshd with -d.  Be sure to read the manpage on what this does first,
> as it may be an unpleasant surprise if you're trying to work on a
> machine that you don't have local access to.

Thanks, I can't seem to find all the debug messages on screen in a log
file, so I'll try to not misspell or represent something here. After
starting the session, it displays the subsystem message, then a
'Received SIGCHLD' and pid assignment, then the exit message...

<snip>
subsystem request for sftp
debug1: sybsystem: exec() /usr/libexec/sftp-server
debug1: Received SIGCHLD.
debug1: session_by_pid: pid 23011
debug1: session_exit_message: session 0 channel 0 pid 23011
debug1: session_exit_message: release channel 0
debug1: session_close: session 0 pid 23011
<snip>

I have sftp and even added exec to the approved commands along with
anything else I could think of for ibsh with no luck, same messages. I
tried adding /usr/libexec to my PATH, no help.

files# echo $PATH
/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/root/bin:/usr/libexec
files# cat /usr/local/etc/ibsh/globals.cmds
cd
ls
pwd
logout