Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2000 04:54:40 -0800
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   downed IP addresses/redundancy

This is an idea I had to help people provide for reduntant servers.

Many programs will bind to all interfaces to serve requests, however
sometimes it's important that a service only appear on a single IP
or interface.  However you'd really like the server to be able to
bind to 2 IP addresses, one that you're serving for and another
in case your sister server goes down.

My idea is that you'd be able to ifconfig an IP to an interface
but leave the IP 'deactivated', when another server goes down
you can activate the IP address so that it will now take incomming
requests.

A 'hack' way of doing this would be to use IPFW and only add the
extra IP after firewalling it off, when it'd needed then remove
the block on the IP address.

Does anyone particularly like/hate this idea?  Just wanted to
share, and possibly get better suggestions.

The main problem I see is that now you have to hack around with
routing otherwise you can't talk to the machine who's IP you're
holding for replacement.

thanks,