Date:      Fri, 28 Apr 2000 14:22:34 +0100 (BST)
From:      Mark Powell <M.S.Powell@salford.ac.uk>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How good is AMI MegaRAID support?

On Fri, 28 Apr 2000, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> At 01:11 PM 4/28/2000 +0100, Mark Powell wrote:
>
> >Yep, 0,1,5,10 and 50 are the only levels we may require. Some sort of
> >FBSD management utility would be useful, although unlikely?
>
> Its there for the Mylex...  e.g.

> See the man page for mlxcontrol. The config from scratch isnt there yet,

That's acceptable. Not really necessary anyhow.

> but the rebuild/status/check is etc is...
>
> newmail# mlxcontrol check mlxd0
> newmail# mlxcontrol status mlxd0
> mlxd0: online [consistency check: 8223936/8273920, 0% complete]
> newmail# mlxcontrol status mlxd0
> mlxd0: online [consistency check: 3345472/8273920, 59% complete]
> newmail#

That's just what's needed.

> >I already have an old DAC960 which I may test. However, I'd like others
> >opinions. I'm sure more testing than I could ever hope to do has already
> >been done.
>
> www.dejanews.com/usenet.  Choose power search, use *freebsd* for the form,
> and try mylex or megaraid for the keywords... Search through and see what
> people have said.

Cheers, I didn't know the mailing lists made it onto Deja. I find the
official search facility lacking.

> > > could artificially wedge it under high load.  There have been new patches
> > > to the driver, so its possible the problem has been fixed, but I havent
> > had
> > > time to test that.
> >
> >Does anyone on the list know if this has been fixed?
>
> This was discussed recently. IIRC, one said yes, one said no.

Hmmm. The Mylex controllers are looking more attractive.

> > > For us the plan is to replace our main production
> > > servers with 4.x as soon as we have the time to do it with Mylex cards
> > > where appropriate.
> >
> >Are you moving to the Mylex cards just because of the above problem, or
> >something else?
>
> Partly the above problems (we have a need to move ahead now), but mostly
> because we havent been able to crash the driver with whatever artificial
> load we threw at it.

That's my problem too. We are currently ordering a machine, but have been
told the SmartRAID IV controller is no longer available.
Still pondering over the AMI or Mylex cards <sigh>

Mark Powell - UNIX System Administrator - Clifford Whitworth Building
A.I.S., University of Salford, Salford, Manchester, UK.
Tel: +44 161 295 5936  Fax: +44 161 295 5888  www.pgp.com for PGP key
M.S.Powell@salfrd.ac.uk (spell salford correctly to reply to me)