Date:      Fri, 11 Feb 2005 12:41:30 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julio Capote <jcapote@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd.com

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005, Julio Capote wrote:

> I think that the entire point of an IT deptartment, is to provide that
> "geek abstraction"; no CEO goes to www.linux.com and decides to go with
> linux for thier infastructure. They ask thier IT deptartment to make
> those decisions. On the same token, no small business owner/executive is
> going to goto www.freebsd.com and download an iso and install it on all
> thier servers based on some marketing hype. Sites like www.redhat.com
> are an exception because they are indeed a commercial entity that sells
> services/products based on Linux, Freebsd has no such entity.

I don't know if I buy into "FreeBSD.com" or not, but I do buy into the
idea that what we need to do is provide ammunition for IT departments that
want to promote FreeBSD in their organization.  I.e., white papers on
FreeBSD as an effective solution, a professional front page that they can
point at and say "Look, this is real", and material to help third party
CDROM and support vendors provide FreeBSD support to their clients.  The
trick will be finding the right balance in not hiding the fact that one of
the greatest assets of FreeBSD is that it's driven by developers who are
also consumers, but provides help to people who want to sell FreeBSD as
the professional product that it is.

An idea that's been thrown around by a number of people at various points
is to produce a set of short, professional-looking, white papers on
FreeBSD use in various environments -- FreeBSD in the computation cluster,
FreeBSD as an enterprise mail solution, FreeBSD for web clusters, FreeBSD
as the foundation for an appliance, and so on.  Something that an IT
department can take to their director/etc saying "This is a recognized
solution -- it works for these people, it will work for us".

Robert N M Watson