Date:      Sun, 19 Dec 1999 15:28:34 -0000
From:      <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ppp -nat -auto <my ISP>

Hi,
I am having problems with Windows '98 and FreeBSD running ppp -nat.

Basically, The FreeBSD box with the connection is configured to use
ppp -nat, this works fine for the other FreeBSD boxes on the network, they
can reach the internet no problem. However, the Win '98 box can't.

The Win '98 box can telnet, FTP and ping the gateway machine but, can't even
so much as ping any external addresses.

I have set the 'HOSTS' file up in windows, the network card is configured to
use the bsd box as gateway, they all have the same subnet 192.168.0.xxx and
mask 255.255.255.0. I have tried setting DNS servers to the gateway box and
alternatively, the ISP boxes without avail.

I can see the Win'98 box pinging away on the network but its just not
getting through. Is this a Windows 'known' problem or have I made some major
boo boo? I read the FAQ, the Handbook and Gregs Complete FreeBSD to no avail
here.

Any ideas what could be going on?

Chris R.

P.S. Please CC me on any replies, as my total mailing list load means I
can't stay subscribed to -questions.