Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 10:39:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        Jeremy Vandenhouten <jeremy.vandenhouten@marquette.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: K7V problem? <- Make sure DIMM is in slot 1

On Mon, 16 Oct 2000, Jeremy Vandenhouten wrote:

:I know I've chimed in on this topic before...
:
:Jamie,
:
:Have you tried making the boot floppies to load 4.1.1-R? Since it seems
:that setup from floppies allowed both NT and 98 to setup properly.
:Also, just for the purpose of setup you could swap out the LS-120
:temporarily for a normal floppy, then after you have FreeBSD on the
:harddrive(s) you could reconfigure your kernel and replace the floppy
:with the LS-120.

Yes, the boot floppies hang as well, though not hard like the CD.  I don't
have a spare floppy laying around, but I may try faking it by telling the
bios I have one installed, forcing it to a:, and turning boot cdrom back
on in the scsi controller (adaptec 2940 uw, sets the cdrom to a: when
bootable disk is in the drive).

Even if I manage to get freebsd on this machine, and my hopes are dimming,
I'm still not sure I'll be able to run X.  Anyone know if X supports the
GeForce2 GTS for just 2d accelleration?  I'm not about to run linux for a
video card.  I started life on the command line, and while it's not the
preferred method, I can go back.

At least my laptop runs FreeBSD fine.  I don't know what I'd do if I
couldn't run it anywhere.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"