Date:      Wed, 23 Dec 2009 08:17:33 -0500
From:      Diane Bruce <db@db.net>
To:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: why BSDs got no love

On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 07:24:10PM -0800, Charlie Kester wrote:
> On Tue 15 Dec 2009 at 07:33:49 PST Jan Husar wrote:
> >http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1123&tag=nl.e011
>
> Others have pointed out that PC-BSD meets the need expressed in this
> article.

I believe this is because of a common misconception of what FreeBSD is.
In essence FreeBSD would be the equivalent of the Linux kernel, except
we have a userland integrated. No one would claim that the Linux kernel
was a 'distro' that needed a GUI installer, yet some think that of FreeBSD.

> As for FreeBSD itself, the question must be asked: do we WANT to get
> more love from people who judge an OS by whether or not it has a
> graphical installer?

No, but it would be great if there were some offerings in ports for
those who wished to roll their own 'distro' ;-).

--
- db@FreeBSD.org db@db.net http://www.db.net/~db