Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2008 16:40:04 GMT
From:      Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To:        freebsd-acpi@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: kern/119675: [acpi] apic_hpet0 probe causes divide by zero kernel panic

The following reply was made to PR kern/119675; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Leo Bicknell <bicknell@ufp.org>
To: John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
Cc: bug-followup@FreeBSD.org
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 11:33:14 -0500

 In a message written on Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 10:13:07AM -0500, John Baldwin wrote:
 > You can try the patch below.  It fixes a couple of places where we don't
 > honor the spec (we don't shut it off in S1 and S2 as required and we don't
 > preserve reserved bits in the global configuration register).  It also
 > fails the attach if the period is zero which should fix your panic and
 > just leave you with no HPET.

 Good news and bad news.

 With the patch "invalid period" is printed out, so I believe it's
 correctly detecting the hpet0 issue.

 However, I immediately get an "integer divide fault while in kernel
 mode" panic and the boot still fails.  I tried with boot -v and the
 message is right after the "invalid period", so I'm not quite sure
 what's causing it.

 Any recomendations, other than setting up a kernel debugger to see where
 it's coming from?

 --
        Leo Bicknell - bicknell@ufp.org - CCIE 3440
 Read TMBG List - tmbg-list-request@tmbg.org, www.tmbg.org