Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 12:34:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chris Hill <chris@monochrome.org>
To:        John Turnbull <johnrt@home.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: About to take the plunge with a Asus a&v133 - any issues? - jrt

On Sun, 13 May 2001, John Turnbull wrote:

> Are there any known issues with installing FreeBSD 4.3 on the mew (mid
> April?) Asus A7V133 motherboard with a 1.1GHz T-bird and PC133 memory?

If you haven't already bought it, I'd recommend looking elsewhere. Too
bad, because it seemed like a really nice, full-featured mobo.

I bought one of these two weeks ago, and for the life of me can't seem
to get FreeBSD installed. Mine is an almost-identical setup:  A7V133,
1.0 GHz Athlon T-Bird, PC133 memory. In the middle of the install I get
a kernel panic, reliably and repeatably. I posted the details last week,
but judging by the ensuing silence I would guess that nobody here knows
how to make this unit work.

> This is the board that has the Promise ATA100 IDE controller built in.
>
> Has anybody experimented with the RAID 0 option on this beast?

I haven't gotten the OS installed, let alone played with the RAID.

> Any impressions?

For now, this machine looks like a $600 paperweight.

HTH.

--
Chris Hill               chris@monochrome.org
**                     [ Busy Expunging <-> ]