Date:      Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:54:47 -0300
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Tulio_Guimar=E3es_da_Silva?= <tuliogs@pgt.mpt.gov.br>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Looking for 4 port SATA (non RAID) controller

--------------010406080004050501020105

Hi Vladimir,
   I (tried) to use some TX4 with 5.4 here at work, with no success.=20
It=B4s said the lastest FBSD ata driver supports it, but then you=B4d hav=
e=20
to get the driver sources, make a custom .iso or compile ata as a module=20
(if possible) of the install CD and pray for it to work... well, I=20
didn=B4t have the time to do it, so I can=B4t say if it=B4ll work. :P
  Even some Linux distros had some trouble recognizing the Promise=20
(you=B4d have to pause the installation, load the precompiled module and=20
again pray for the installer to accept the new peripherals). Actually,=20
the only way I found to make it work with 5.4 was to install it under=20
VMWare on w2k (doh). Obviously, it=B4s not a production environment nor=20
machine, and surely NOT an option if you need performance.
  Also, if you=B4re looking for S-ATA only, not RAID, you can go to other=
=20
(and cheaper) cards. Highpoint is well known to support FreeBSD (not=20
that *wonderful* support, but far better than many others, and it=B4s=20
official) for some controllers; take a look at their site and see what=20
you=B4ll find. ;) I only found a 2-ch controller:=20
http://www.highpoint-tech.com/USA/r1520.htm
  Good luck! :)

Tulio G. Silva