Date:      Mon, 28 Jun 1999 21:53:51 GMT
From:      bsd@hunter13.com (Richard Yeardley)
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Samba, NT and Deskjet 890C driver woes (long)

On Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:59:27 -0700 (PDT), myers@iname.com wrote:

>> So, after all that waffling - has anyone else successfully installed
>> an 890C via Samba with the HP supplied drivers (Version 12.2 for NT)
>> and if so how the heck did you do it?  I don't fancy the idea of using
>> drivers for a lower-spec printer just so that it'll work with FreeBSD.
>

>May not answer your question, but here's another way of thinking about
>it...

-- 8< -- Stuff about Postscript drivers etc.

>The fact that Samba is acting as an intermediary only means that it
>exposes the printer's functionality through Windows-ish protocols --
>that doesn't change how the underlying OS (FreeBSD and associated
>drivers) treats the printer.
>
>Having said all that, you may well get a "raw" mode working, where
>nobody along the chain of Windows -> Samba -> FreeBSD -> printer
>touches the bytes, and so they work okay.  (This is especially possible
>with that new parallel port bus driver thingy that they put in FreeBSD
>since 3.1 or something.) =20
>
>-David.

Not one to let a computer get the better of me I persevered.  Whilst
tearing my hair out earlier I completely the fact that I have two NT
machines to test the 890C/Samba/FBSD setup on - the other one being
our current print server.

I repeated the steps on the NT server and voila! - a working 890C
printer.  Odd.

Anyhow - at this point I really had to go get some sleep 8)

* Time passes - sleep, work, eat *

Back to the problem... I uninstalled the 890 drivers from my PC as
best I could (like most uninstall programs it left dozens of driver
files and the like hanging around) and reinstalled them from a freshly
unzipped copy.  I installed it as if it was a local printer, then
pointed it to a new port defined as \\UNIX\LP.

Now, rather than simply hanging with various error messages the print
began to print junk, with the occasional piece of readable text buried
in it.

Try again... This time I ran Control Panel->Printers->Add
Printer->Network Printer and pointed it to the \\UNIX\LP queue.  This
time I got a test page!  As we often say here in Yorkshire - "we're
cookin' with gas!".  I did a few more test runs, including plain text
and colour graphics and it all seemed to work perfectly.  Apart from
the extra blank page after each document, but I'll sort that next
time.

Rich.

--=20
=46BSD3.2R : IBM PR233 : 64MB RAM : 4.3GB HD : V90 modem : NE2000 PCI NIC
Apache 1.3.6+PHP 3.08 : named : socks5 : ipfw : mysql 3.22 : samba 2.04