Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 2002 01:42:27 +0930
From:      David Lloyd <lloy0076@adam.com.au>
To:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
Cc:        grant@thenetnow.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DUMP

Jack,

> >Can anyone explain how the DUMP levels work? I understand that 0 is a
> >full FS dumo, but what does 1, 2, 3, 4 etc etc etc stand for?

Level 0
 - full dump

Level 1
 - dumps only the files that have changed since the last level 0 dump

Level 2
 - dumps only the files that have changed since the last level 1 dump

Level 3
 - dumps only the files that have changes since the last level 2 dump

(and so forth)

Depending on the complexity of your backups you may want to have a look
at http://www.amanda.org/ (I don't know whether it's in ports, currently
on my Linux box).

DSL
--