Date:      Fri, 8 Sep 1995 18:19:58 +0000 ()
From:      Robert Burns <rjbproc@Vir.com>
To:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Slip - dilemma (Can't use PPP)

> > Pardon me for being baffled, but how does chat know where to direct itself?
> > I know this works with pppd but when I use this setup as is chat does not
> > dial out.
>
> Chat talks to stdin/stdout, which slattach redirects to the serial port.
>
> > after I;
> >
> > slattach -f /root/slipdial /dev/cuaa0
> >
> > 3 seconds later ...
> >
> > date     slattach [PID]: SIGHUP on /dev/cuaa3 (sl-1); running /root/slipdial
>
> cuaa0 or cuaa3? The numbers have to match 8)

Excuse me, that was a type-o on my part, both were set for cuaa3 (internal
modem)

> > and if I ps -x
> >
> > sh -c /root/slipdial
> > /bin/sh /root/slipdial
> > chat -f /root/slip-chat
>
> slip-chat or slip.chat as oritically specified?

I had named it slip-chat but I have since renamed it back to chat.script
for consistency in future debugging

> > But nothing happens. Did I miss something?
>
> Depends; I need to know whether the mismatches are typos or not.

Still had problems, so tried it on cuaa0 and it works fine. I had
to remove faxgetty from ttys for cuaa0 to make it work though. Strange, I
never had problems with internal modem before. I will continue to
investigate why cuaa3 does'nt work but in the mean time, thanks for
everything.
Robert Burns (rjbproc@vir.com)
Mtl., Ca.