Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2007 02:33:51 +0000
From:      Florent Thoumie <flz@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: "Recommended test ordering" question.

--------------enig50EB2C4B73185D14F4D5F654

Kris Kennaway wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 10:33:07PM +0100, Julien Gabel wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I just updated the patch for a little port i maintained, and encounter=
ed
>> a curious error following the "Recommended test ordering" found in the=

>> FreeBSD Porter's Handbook to test it properly.  Here are the steps:
>>  - make install
>>    =3D> ok.
>>  - make package
>>    =3D> ok.
>>  - make deinstall
>>    =3D> ok.
>>  - pkg_add package-name
>>    =3D> ok.
>>  - make deinstall
>>    =3D> Errors about directories which can't be deleted.
>>    =3D> Directories _not_ present anymore, but were present after the
>>       pkg_add step.
>>    =3D> ok (port seems deinstalled correctly).
>>  - make reinstall
>>    =3D> ok.
>>  - make package
>>    =3D> ok.
>>
>> Any suggestion on why i get these errors, although all "seems" fine?
>=20
> Your pkg-plist is incorrect.  Perhaps you are doing things in your
> post-install script that are only executed when the port makefile is
> run, but do not have a corresponding @exec statement in your
> pkg-plist.

[...] or the "make install" step might also create empty directories.
You should add those with "@exec mkdir -p %D/share/foo" in the packing
list. Note that these steps won't tell you if you have installed files
not recorded in the packing list. Using PREFIX=3D/tmp/foo usually help,
assuming it is prefix-clean.

--=20
Florent Thoumie
flz@FreeBSD.org