Date:      Sat, 29 Dec 2001 07:42:01 +0100
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely9.cicely.de>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Jim Bryant <kc5vdj@yahoo.com>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum issue with USB CompactFlash reader.

On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 04:03:40PM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> On Saturday, 29 December 2001 at  6:21:29 +0100, Bernd Walter wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 29, 2001 at 10:09:11AM +1030, Greg Lehey wrote:
> >> This has nothing to do with Vinum.  The errors are at the device
> >> driver level, and they appear to relate only to the compact flash
> >> adaptor.  Does it work when Vinum is not loaded?  Was there in fact a
> >> CF card in the adaptor?
> >
> > vinums read_drive_label triggers this.
> > It tries to read the label and produces the given errors if the drive is
> > not ready - nothing wrong IMHO.
>
> This would assume that Vinum was started after the adaptor was
> inserted.

You can see from the bootlog that the adapter was probed and detected
during booting - it was even printed before some scsi harddisks.

> > I see the same messages for an MO drive if there is no media inserted.
> > And I see these errors for a fixed drive with media errors.
> > It is just unavoidable to have a single error for each drive and I don't
> > know for shure why it happens several times - maybe vinum probes for
> > multiple partitions.
>
> Yes, Vinum probes for up to 35 partitions.  First it tries each
> partition in each slice.  If that doesn't work, it tries the
> compatibility slice.  In each case, it ignores partition c.
>
> I suppose it would be possible to recognize conditions like "medium
> not present" and stop after the first attempt.  But I can't see how to
> handle this without at least one error message.

I'm not shure that you see this error inside vinum.
From what I understood it's that reading the disklabel failed and vinum
might only get ENXIO.
I don't know the disklabel code but maybe there is something possible
to have one call and get all available partitions.

Nevertheless the errors are just telling why this drive was not
succesfully scanned and have a valid reason to be there.
You can alway tell vinum which partitions to probe.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de