Date:      Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:02:12 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jaye Mathisen <mrcpu@internetcds.com>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Postfix discussion.

While I don't dispute for a minute that postfix offers numerous advantages
over sendmail, (having dumped sendmail for qmail a long time ago...),
I do not recall seeing a valid reason why it just can't be a port.

If in the future, it is decided that postfix should be the mailer of
choice, fine, axe sendmail, bring in postfix, be happy.

I don't see us running bind4 and bind8 side-by-side, and I don't see us
running vim and vi side-by-side...  and the other too numerous to mention
lists of software where ports exceed or surpass the main tree software in
functionality, speed, or features... or any other criteria.

I don't see any reason to start now.  I believe the goal is laudable, but
like aout-to-elf and other decisions of this type, cut the cord, and
switch...

<sarcasm>
Heck, go cold turkey the other way.  Don't install any mailer, and make
the user install a port of exim, qmail, sendmail, or postfix as they see
fit. :)   Do the same with the shells and interpreters, and really
streamline that install process.
</sarcasm>