Date:      Mon, 3 Jul 2000 06:37:42 -0700
From:      Ryan.Gamo@sce.com
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "David A. Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Offensive figures (wa: Why?)

Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>>                     Sent by:                         Subject:
Offensive figures (wa: Why?)
>>                     owner-freebsd-questions@F
>>                     reeBSD.ORG
>Is all this really necessary?  And what's it supposed to mean?

>Greg

I'm afraid *everyone* suffers from the ill effects of Lotus Notes. I would
definitely use an MS program over this stupid thing. I guess it is
necessary. In addition to my autosig, it includes the originators'
addresses and text. It looks alot cuter on Notes but makes for a big mess
over the net.

                               Ryan M. Gamo
                      IT Application Services - TDBU
                 Phone: (626)308-6696 * Fax: (626)308-6390
                      Pager: (888)586-7992 PIN 318489
                             "KNOW YOUR ROLE"

                    Greg Lehey
                    <grog@lemis.c        To:     Ryan.Gamo@sce.com
                    om>                  cc:     "David A. Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>,
                                         freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
                    07/01/2000           Subject:     Re: Offensive figures (wa: Why?)
                    06:36 PM

On Friday, 30 June 2000 at  7:27:58 -0700, Ryan.Gamo@sce.com wrote:
>> On Thursday, 29 June 2000 at  6:19:06 -0400, David A. Medeiros wrote:
>>> Why is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
>>> FreeBSD? Thanks!
>>
>> Why, is a figure offensive in its caricturization used as the logo for
>> FreeBSD?  The logo represents a daemon.  What's offensive about that?
>
> I think they've watered the demon down to serve as an acceptable logo.
Has
> about as much meaning to it as the Linux Penguin. It looks good on
shirts,
> which is probably it's most important purpose.
>
> Someone once told me that they used it because it was the UC
> Berkeley mascot - hardly. They've been the Golden Bears for as long
> as I've been a Californian - 19 years (the first 3 in diapers).

The daemon, of course, predates both the Berkeley Daemon and your
birth.  See http://www.daemonnews.org/199810/daemon.html for more
details.

>                                Ryan M. Gamo
>                       IT Application Services - TDBU
>                  Phone: (626)308-6696 * Fax: (626)308-6390
>                       Pager: (888)586-7992 PIN 318489
>                              "KNOW YOUR ROLE"
>

>                     Greg Lehey
>                     <grog@sydney.worldwide.le        To:     "David A.
Medeiros" <damzz@mediaone.net>
>                     mis.com>                         cc:
freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>                     Sent by:                         Subject:
Offensive figures (wa: Why?)