Date:      Wed, 10 Feb 1999 08:46:23 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Nadav Eiron <nadav@cs.technion.ac.il>, pechter@shell.monmouth.com, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VAXen in FreeBSD ( was Re: Women in FreeBSD)

David Greenman wrote:

> >> Interesting how many Ex-VMS types move to FreeBSD instead of Linux.
> >> Anyone have any idea as to what that reason is...
> >>
> >> I've got mine -- the fact that VMS is an operating system rather than
> >> a kernel and a different distribution.
> >
> >I don't think so. At least that's not my reason. I think it's a matter of
> >market segment it aims at: VMS aims at servers that need to run without a
> >crash for years, and that's what FreeBSD excels at as well.

Funny, I got there through the workstations that need to run without
a crash for years avenue.  If course, I used to work in UNIX work-
stations that used Oracle on VMS as a data store.  That was a sick
(and stupid) thing to do, but not my call.

>    For what it's worth, I was a long-time VAX/VMS guy prior to getting
> involved with BSD Unix.

And you're feeling much better now, right?  ;^)

> Several other core members also have significant
> amounts of VMS in their history. I'm not sure this says anything in
> particular, but I think it's interesting nonetheless.

I think most of them ended up in VMS jr. -- Winders NT.  At least,
most of the ones I worked with did.  Good riddance to bad rubbish,
in most cases.  They've almost finished the latest release of their
all-seeing, all-knowing security analysis product for NT, a port from
my original UNIX version.  They were "on the verge" of releasing it
when I left the company 4.5 years ago, if that gives you any idea of
their level of productivity on NT.